frequently asked questions

Free Case Evaluation

  • What is the first thing I should do if I suffer an injury?

    If you are injured you should obtain medical treatment immediately. After your initial medical needs have been addressed, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible. Cases often need to be investigated quickly and a delay in consulting an attorney can sometimes cause critical evidence to be permanently lost.

  • Do I need an attorney?

    In many cases you will need to hire an attorney to adequately protect your interests. You should take advantage of the free consultations offered by Personal Injury Attorney Rockland County to determine whether we can be of assistance to you.

  • How do I pay for your services?

    We usually handle personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. This means our fee is a percentage of the recovery that we are able to obtain for you. If you would prefer to hire us on an hourly basis, that option is also available.

  • What if I am contacted by an insurance company or an investigator?

    We recommend that you not discuss your injury or the way in which it happened with anyone until you have consulted an attorney. Also, if you sign any papers or agree to any settlement before speaking with an attorney, this could affect your ability to recover full compensation for your injuries.

  • What are my rights if I have been injured?

    As a general rule, if someone’s negligence caused your injury, you are entitled to compensation for those injuries. The specific legal rights and limitations that apply to your case will vary depending on the facts.

  • What is my case worth?

    Each case is unique. Because of this, until your case has been fully investigated and your medical condition has stabilized, you should be wary of anyone who tries to tell you the value of your claim. Full compensation may include payment of medical bills, pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of ability to enjoy life, lost wages, and diminished earning capacity.

  • Will my case go to trial?

    Many cases are settled before trial. Although we always remain open to settlement offers, if a settlement offer is inadequate, we have the experience to handle your case all the way through trial.

  • Can my attorney settle my case without my consent?

    At Personal Injury Attorney Rockland County, we will never settle your claim without your consent. Recommendations of whether to settle or not are made, but the ultimate decision to settle lies with you.

  • How soon after the settlement is the money received and disbursed?

    In many cases, the funds are received within seven to fourteen (7-14) days after the release is signed. Cases involving a large settlement, the State, private individuals, and/or out-of-area insurance companies often take much longer. In some cases we need to obtain the approval of the Court before a settlement can be finalized.

  • What should I bring with me for my meeting with a lawyer?

    You should provide a lawyer with any documents that might be relevant to your case. Police reports, for example, contain eyewitness information and details about the conditions surrounding auto accidents, fires, and assaults. Copies of medical reports and bills from doctors and hospitals will help demonstrate the extent and nature of your injuries. Information about the insurer of the person who caused your injury is extremely helpful, as are any photographs you have of the accident scene, your property damage, and your injury. The more information you are able to give your lawyer, the easier it will be for him or her to determine if your claim will be successful. If you haven’t collected any documents at the time of your first meeting, however, don’t worry; your lawyer will be able to obtain them in his investigation of your claim.